Host a conference to meet all of your program requirements. Let us know how many people are attending and what you want to accomplish, and we will take care of the nuts and bolts of making it a Berkeley event.
Our wide selection of meeting rooms include computer labs, as well as plenary, breakout, and poster session locations. We can configure any room to suit your event’s particular needs. Details about popular conference meeting spaces and dining facilities are included on our main Summer Conferences webpage.
Resources & Services
Wifi: Complimentary Internet access is available through the CalVisitor wifi network.
Audiovisual equipment: We can provide technical support, computer equipment, and audiovisual equipment as needed for an additional fee.
Computer Lab Rental Rates
Rent out a computer lab for your conference or event – great for training sessions. Our computing centers (also called Academic Services Centers) are equipped with both Windows and Mac workstations.
Full day (up to 8 hours) $750: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. or 1 p.m.–9 p.m.
Half day (up to 4 hours) $450: 9 a.m.–1 p.m., 1 p.m.–5 p.m., 5 p.m.–9 p.m.
Times include setup. Each additional hour is $150.
The rental fees include the following support:
- Technical overview at a pre-conference meeting
- One hour of technical assistance with initial setup, and familiarization of Computing Center equipment
- Opening and closing of the Computing Center before and after use
We can also provide additional technology services, including software installation, technical support, computer rental, and more.
Service Fee Software installation (minimum 1 hour)* $50/hour Additional technical support (minimum 1 hour) $75/hour PC Computer rental (minimum 1 day) $75/day Customize and change the furniture layout $500 Remove and store all computers in a Computing Center* $1,500/day
*These special requests must be made at least 3 weeks prior to the conference start date.
In regards to computer lab rentals, conference guests are responsible for the following:
- Providing sufficient licenses for the number of conferees in attendance.
- Testing software in the Computing Center to ensure it performs as expected. UC Berkeley Student Technology Services is not responsible for software brought in at the last minute and/or not tested in the Computing Center.
- Retrieving/removing all data from Computing Center machines. Data retrieval of any information left behind on any Computing Center machine or PC rental is not available.
- Conference groups who bring their own computers into the Computing Center are responsible for providing their own IT support, including computer setup and installation. We must have the contact information of the IT personnel.
Please contact us or email@example.com for more information.
Summer conference planner’s checklist
Summer Conference Checklist
Conference Arrival Date: __________
Check off each item below as they are completed:
12+ Months in Advance
- Determine a practical budget for the type of conference you would like to plan.
- Set preferred and optional conference dates.
- Realistically determine how many participants you anticipate and how many will need housing. Keep in mind, overestimating these numbers could become very costly.
- Ascertain the number of meeting rooms and what sizes you will need. Include all breakouts and catered functions.
- Submit your inquiry to Berkeley Events and Conferences.
6-12 Months in Advance
- Provide all appropriate billing and contact information.
- Schedule a site visit with your coordinator.
- Review our Terms & Conditions.
- Submit deposit payment 2 weeks after deposit invoice received.
- Submit Signed Contract 2 weeks after contract received.
3-6 Months in Advance
- Provide copy of conference marketing materials to your coordinator.
2-3 Months in Advance
- Discuss preliminary food and beverage needs with your coordinator.
- Provide preliminary program schedule.
- Send correspondence to your guests, speakers, and staff about any parking needs they may have.
- Send correspondence to your guests, speakers, and staff about any dietary restrictions they may have. Please communicate this information to your coordinator.
- Start thinking about the audiovisual equipment you’ll need. Include the needs of any guest speakers and/or exhibitors at your event.
30 Days in Advance
- Submit Catering/Special Meal requests and menus.
- Provide finalized meeting space setup needs, including diagrams.
- Communicate all parking needs to your coordinator.
- Submit all audiovisual requests (unless you are bringing your own equipment).
- Determine a date for the pre-conference briefing with your coordinator. This briefing will occur after the Housing and Rooming Lists have been submitted, but before the group move- in date.
- Submit a Certificate of Insurance to your coordinator.
- Confirm housing check-in and check-out times and locations with your coordinator.
2 Weeks in Advance
- Submit your Housing and Rooming Lists.
- Final accommodations pre-payment due. Prepayment charges are based on the number of people on the Housing List, or 80% of your final contracted number of people (whichever is greater) multiplied by the accommodations package rates, less the deposit.
- Include Early Arrivals and/or Late Departures on your Housing and Rooming Lists.
- Provide final list of commuting guests that will need Commuter meal cards. This number can increase, based on availability, but it cannot decrease.
- Provide accurate count of single-use guest meal cards for the duration of your conference. Please consider how many meals you will be providing for each of your non-resident guests.
- Provide your coordinator with a final conference itinerary.
- Submit all Cal Catering To-Go orders to your coordinator.
4 Days in Advance
- Limited additions and deletions to the Housing List can be made 3 days prior to move-in. To avoid No Show charges, all cancellations must be communicated to your coordinator.
Conference Departure Date: ___________
*Full payment of the conference account is due approximately 3 weeks after you receive your final bill.
Summer conference guests may receive mail during their stay.
Stamped, outgoing mail may be placed in the US Mail slot located at the front desk of each Unit or residence hall. Other mailing needs must be handled at the nearby US Post Office.
Incoming mail should be addressed as follows:
c/o Conference Name
Residence Hall Name Street Address (See below for specific unit address)
Berkeley, CA Zip (See below for specific unit zip code)
2650 Durant Avenue Berkeley, CA 94720-2274
2650 Haste Avenue Berkeley, CA 94720-2278
2400 Durant Avenue Berkeley, CA 94720-2276
2700 Hearst Avenue Berkeley, CA 94720-2292
Hearst Avenue & Highland Place, Berkeley, CA 94709
Clark Kerr Campus
2601 Warring Street Berkeley, CA 94720-2288
Ship your program materials
Program materials may be shipped no more than five days prior to the conference. If materials are received earlier, there will be a $50/day storage fee.
Please clearly identify the name of the conference and the Events and Conferences Coordinator’s name on each box. A fee of $5 per box will be charged for all boxes after the fifth box.
If there are any materials remaining after the conference ends, you must make arrangements to have those items picked up by your carrier within 48 hours. Please advise your Events and Conferences Coordinator of these arrangements. Any materials remaining after 48 hours become the property of the University of California, Berkeley.
Laundry facilities and vending machines
Laundry Facilities: Laundry rooms equipped with coin-operated washers and dryers are located in most residence hall buildings. The locations of the laundry rooms are posted in the lobby near the main entrance to each building. Pricing can be confirmed with the conference clerk staff. Please note the front desks of our residence halls do not carry cash and so quarters will not be available for purchase.
Vending Machines: When that midnight cookie craving hits, conference guests will be happy to find cash- and coin-operated beverage and snack machines located in each residence hall. The location of these machines varies by unit, so please stop by the front desk to inquire.
Please ask your sales coordinator if you are interested in purchasing recreation cards for you and your guests. Just because you’re away from home doesn’t mean your workout has to suffer. UC Berkeley has state-of-the-art recreational facilities available to conference guests for a fee. One recreation card will give you access to the Recreational Sports Facility, the Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area, The Golden Bear Recreation Center, and Hearst Gymnasium.
For maps, phone numbers, and facility schedules, please visit the Department of Recreational Sports.
The Recreational Sports Facility (RSF)
As the university’s largest and most complete fitness center, the RSF has an abundance of activities for everyone. At the RSF you will find a swimming pool, weight rooms, basketball courts, racquetball/handball courts, squash courts, treadmills, elliptical trainers, stair masters, rowing machines, and stationary bikes. Additionally, space is reserved for volleyball, badminton, indoor soccer, group exercise classes, martial arts, and table tennis.
No one under 16 years of age will be permitted into the RSF.
The Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area (SCRA)
The SCRA features an outdoor swimming pool, a wading pool, a ropes course, locker rooms, and a barbecue/picnic area.
The Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC)
Behind the Clark Kerr Campus is the Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC), which includes a swimming pool, tennis courts, outdoor track, softball area, a sand volleyball court, and picnic grounds.
The Hearst Gymnasium is a multi-use facility with three pools, locker rooms, classrooms, aerobic/dance rooms, and multi-use gymnasia.
Group Rate Recreation Cards
A recreation card providing unlimited access to all these four areas can be purchased for $50 per person, per week. Recreation cards must be ordered in advance by the organizer and are charged to the master bill (not the individual guests).
Individual Rate Recreation Cards
These facilities are available on a fee per entry basis.
Current daily entry fees at each facility are as follows:
Facility Entry Fee Golden Bear Recreation Center $10/day Hearst Gymnasium* $20/day Recreation Sports Facility (RSF)* $20/day Strawberry Canyon $10/day (pool access only)
*$20 daily pass is valid for both Hearst Gymnasium and RSF pools.
Please note that rates are subject to change without notice.